Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Hello, Linguist62N!


This class interested me because it explores the subject of food from sociocultural, psychological, and linguistic perspectives.  In high school, I had the opportunity to travel to Taiwan and India, as well as spend 3 months as an exchange student in France.  Visiting these countries was a feast for the senses, and I found that, by focusing particularly on the countries’ foods, I could learn a lot about these cultures as a whole.  In France, particularly, my food-related vocabulary expanded quickly, and with it, my understanding of social norms surrounding cooking and eating.  I am also looking forward to exploring linguistics in this course; having studied Latin for several years, I’ve had fun looking at word etymologies and learning about the evolution of our language, which I had formerly thought of as pretty stagnant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment