Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Project Idea: Packaging of Organic vs. Generic Junk Food


For my project, I would like to explore the way that packaging on organic vs. generic brand processed foods and “junk” foods (e.g. cookies, crackers, candies) expresses class distinctions and the nutritional content (or lack thereof) of the product - something I find interesting because, of course, many of the so-called "organic" boxed foods are in fact quite processed.  This is similar to the potato chip study that we discussed in class.  I am expecting to find a study of the words on the packages to reveal class distinctions, with organic food being positioned as gourmet or even “healthy,” and generic brands as cheap or yummy.  I thought of this when I recently bought a package of what were, for all intents and purposes, Oreos at Whole Foods and found on the back of the box a pretty story about summers on the beach–not exactly what you would expect from Nabisco.  My data will consist of several packages from different brands (I will probably need to go to different grocery stores to get an adequate sample), noting the price per ounce of food as well as the syntax and vocabulary of each box's blurb.  

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really interesting! I'm really curious as to where you are going to obtain all of these food products. Are you planning to go to several "middle-class" stores, i.e. Trader Joe's, to obtain all of the food products or are you planning to go to grocery stores that cover the entire spectrum of financial situations?

    Regardless, good luck Sarah. This sounds like so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete